Setting up a Google AdSense account
Already have an active Google AdSense publisher account?
You can skip this section and create your ad unit immediatly.
Before you start
The Google AdSense program is selective in who they approve. Applications are reviewed and judged by the Google staff according to strict content guidlines, and at their sole discretion. As such, original and distinctive content will greatly raise your chances for approval.
To maximize your chances please make sure that your presence on TravelJournal includes substantial, original content that complies with these guidelines before you apply. We strongly recommend that you'll apply for a Google AdSense account only after you've published a few quality journals. In addition, please make sure that you have completed your user profile and uploaded a profile image.
You can read more about Google AdSense program policies and content guidelines here.
Open a Google AdSense account
- Follow this link to access the sign up form.
- If you don't have a website, you can use your profile page on TravelJournal as your Website URL. You can find your URL under My URL on the My Profile page. Take a minute to read the Before you start section above to make sure your profile page has enough content for approval.
- Select English as your language.
- Fill in the rest of your personal information and submit your application. Make sure your details are complete and correct. You will be receiving payments from Google according to the details you provide here. Incorrect or incomplete details might cause problems receiving these payments.
- Account approval takes a few days to complete. Once your account has been approved you can proceed to the next step.
Adding your Google AdSense code to TravelJournal
Create a new ad unit in Google AdSense
- Log into your Google AdSense account: https://www.google.com/adsense/.
- Click "My ads" on the top navigation bar.
- Click the "+ New ad unit" button located at the top of your ad units list. You will be presented with a short form to define and create your new unit.
- Name your new ad unit in the Name field. We suggest using a unique name for this unit so you can easily identify it in the future.
- In the Size setting please select 200 x 200 - Small Square, and Text ads only in the Ad type setting.
- In the Ad style settings please use the values below:
- Font family:
- Font size:
- Click the "Save and get code" button at the bottom of the form.
- Your newly created ad code should look similar to this:
google_ad_client = "ca-pub-0123456789012345";
/* my new TravelJournal ad unit */
google_ad_slot = "9876543210";
google_ad_width = 200;
google_ad_height = 200;
- Please note the two values hilighted in the example above.
google_ad_client is your Google Publisher ID
google_ad_slot is your Ad Slot ID
We will be using them in the following steps to connect your ad unit with your TravelJournal account.
Activate your TravelJournal professional writers' account
- Log into TravelJournal and click the "Settings" tab in the top navigation bar.
- Click "Revenue sharing" from the tabs on the left.
- Read and agree to the Terms and Conditions of the program.
- Fill in your Google Publisher ID and Ad Slot ID (from the ad unit code you have generated in step #9 in the previous section).
- You're done! Click "Save" to finish.
For additional help or assistance please feel free to contact us.
...so intuitive to use that it is fair to say it can become a reliable companion for modern adventurers of every kind.
I was planning to build a complete new travel journal website. During my search on the internet, to get some inspiration, I found your wonderful website and it was exactly what I was expecting to build by myself.
Thijs ter Avest, a TravelJournal user
TravelJournal is the right platform to start documenting your travel experiences.
I'm really excited about your website... When I found it I thought it would be a great way for me to chronicle our adventures around the US and Canada.
Amy B., a TravelJournal user